The Noisy Paint Box: The colors and Sound of Kandinsky’s Abstract Art

“The Noisy Paint Box: The colors and Sound of Kandinsky’s Abstract” was written by Barb Rosenstock and illustrated by  Mary Grandpre. It was about Kandinsky and his noisy paint box his aunt gave him. He lived a boring life before his aunt gave him his paint box. He painted what he heard and listened to the different noises the colours made. He heard high notes from yellow and low notes from green. No one knew what he was painting so they sent him to art school to teach him how to paint like everyone else. He grew older and ignored the sounds the colours around him made. One day he attended an opera performance, and he heard all the colours and it reminded him of painting and the noisy paint box.  After that he continued painting, but people said it wasn’t right and that Kandinsky artwork should have people and flowers in it. So he made what the people wanted but not what he wanted. All of Kandinsky’s art friends understood him and that they were bored of painting pretty ladies and flowers. In the end Kandinsky painted what he wanted to paint and not what other people told him to, he called it: Abstract Art. I connected to this book because I like to paint and instead of painting people of flowers I like to splat colour onto a canvas. It’s more enjoyable to paint something in my head then something I saw online or in person.  In the book “Cerulean” one of the characters doesn’t like doing what all the other girls do. She wants to be a scientist and not marry a boy when she was only seventeen. She loved girls and wanted to marry a women. She was different and she liked being unique instead of all the other girls, pretending to be objects boys look at for pleasure.