Morris Micklewhite and the Tangerine Dress

Morris is a little boy who has a wide imagination and always wore a tangerine dress everyday written by Christine Bald. The theme of the book was to be yourself and not to listen to bullies who may bring you down. Morris has a pet cat named “Moo” and they go on adventures together. He dreams about space adventures and loves to paint beautiful pictures with him and Moo. He likes to sing the loudest in circle time but most of all he likes his Tangerine Dress. Morris’s classmates don’t like how he wears a dress everyday and bully him for that, they don’t let him on their space ship at snack and say that astronauts don’t wear dresses. One day morris feels an aching feeling and skips school for the day. Morris reads about elephants and puts puzzles together. Morris paints a beautiful picture with him and Moo riding an elephant. He goes back to school with his painting and makes his own spaceship and puts his painting on the front. The other kids liked his imagination and asked if they could join him on his adventure. I think the message that the author wanted the reader to come back with was having courage and to always be yourself. I loved the dreamy illustrations and I personally loved how the main character had a companion (his cat Moo).  It’s sweet and cute and I love the way they showed having courage and being yourself.